Tuesday, June 9, 2009

A Dissenting Voice...Should be Heard...

-------- Your tax dollars at work ---------

Dear Anonymous:

Thank you for your thoughtful note.

And, of course you are right. My comments about RDA's generally, SWSDA in particular and Mr. Anderson especially are laced with sarcasm, ridicule and more than a bit of outrage. However, I fear that my writing style has distracted you from assimilating the facts that my postings are all about. For that failure I am sorry.

You are within your rights to believe what you will about Mr. Anderson, SWSDA or RDAs in our Province, as I am within my rights to publish factual information and my views about their use or what I see as possible abuse of public funds and what I consider to be a failure to do the job they claim to do with our money. Then again, you are of course free not to read about the issues I think important or my concern about public bodies and officials who operate in secret, using our resources.

As for stumbling across my blog, I am not sure how to respond to that comment.... hard to imagine how one "stumbles" over an address like www.swsdaaccountablity.blogspot.com.

Oh, by the way, my vitriol has been saved for SWSDA alone .... so far. I have asked questions about another public organization using public monies that claims to operate under a public mandate (the Nova Scotia Association of Regional Development Authorities) but fails to file its financial statements when required. This from an organization that claims to be working to enhance the professionalism of RDAs and their staff.

So dear anonymous... there you have it... I've posted your unsigned note, taken your comments to heart as your view of the world and urge you not to read this blog again if it causes you pain.

Alternatively, if you feel strongly enough about the privacy of RDA staff and the need to make RDAs accountable, as you claim, I urge you to sit down and start your own blog that supports the fine work of RDAs and our Provincial agencies. You can be sure that should I stumble over it and should I disagree with your views that I might well comment and sign my name.

So, dear anonymous.... have you figured out why I posted your comments? You may be surprised to discover that I think it is germane to the topic and apropos that we discuss your views in public.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Stumbling, The day of reckoning has arrived now that we have a majority NDP government, so I hope you'll now be hearing and reading more of the same from our local and provincial media, which has left the investigative journalism to Shelburne County Today and Mr. Cayer's blogspot. Mr. Cayer has done the citizens of the area a favour in releasing some of the info he received after Justice Hood ordered the release of these documents. The wheels of justice have creaked along for years, but the gravy train is gone!
- hidethepapershredders!

Anonymous said...

I believe very much in TRANSPARENCY in government. Government is way way to secretive.

In regards to the comment about knowing how much a person makes. Did you know that somewhere on a web page the ferderal government has alist of just how much MPs make, how much expense account they have etc, It is just very difficult to find.

In regards to SWSDA, they were supposed to, {by legislation}, supposed to file financial statements, BUT they did NOT How is that tranparent. Is that right ?