Sunday, May 31, 2009

Going to Find Out!

-------- Your tax dollars at work ---------

Who are the mysterious employers....

And ..... why do they think they aren't obliged to tell us how much they pay SWSDA's CEO?

Let's think about this for a moment.

1. If part of Mr. Anderson's salary is paid for by a private benefactor, it seems to me that SWSDA should have an obligation to advise the public about who else pays his salary.

2. If part of Mr. Anderson's salary is paid for by an organization associated with one or more of the municipalities who already sit on SWSDA's Board, I would think that simple logic would suggest that the arrangement is at best in conflict and at worst inappropriate, particularly if the other municipalities on the SWSDA Board are kept in the dark about the "arrangement".
Soooo... this morning I submitted a FOIPOP application to Roger King who is Chair of the Yarmouth Area Industrial Commission. Here it is........

I wonder what the response will be........ any guesses?


What's the best case scenario you ask? They respond promptly and give me the information I've requested and citizen's are entitled to.


Worse case scenario?

Well ..... they can ignore my application or they can tell me to pound sand.... either way, I then have recourse to the Freedom of Information Office after 30 days or when they refuse. The FOIPOP Office will review the case, urge them to comply if they should or tell me YAIC is not subject to the FOIPOP Act.


Either way, the FOIPOP Office will make their recommendation to me and to YAIC. Should YAIC not comply, I can file an Appeal with the Supreme Court of Nova Scotia. Then of course there is the Pre-hearing before a Judge where they will have to produce the documents that I've requested for the Court. At the pre-hearing, YAIC's lawyer(s) and I can agree on a schedule for producing Affidavits, Pre-hearing memos, etc. and a date for trial. Given normal delays, the case will likely not be heard until some time in 2010, summer or fall I expect. If I win, they have 30 days after the decision is rendered to appeal......

So.... it may take until 2011 to get this information. If YAIC insists on being obtuse they can go out and hire a lawyer or team of lawyers with its taxdollar-supported monies..... or they could give it to me next week. In any event, I'll be doing my own litigation if necessary!

Cost for me... mostly time and effort.... Value..... Priceless in a free country!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

After Rod chokes on his first coffee of the morning, his phone will be tied up all day with calls to Frank, Richie, Stu and the rest of the gang. You've just ruined what appeared to be a beautiful day for them Ed. Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I noticed somewhere on an SWSDA site, "...a partnership with YAIC that allows the authority to share staff and expertise to the benefit of Yarmouth Co...", and I question why the Shelburne Industrial Commission never got off the ground. It seems Yarmouth Co. and Clare has gained, while Shelb. Co. is just a thorn in Frank's a$$. For him to threaten to close the local office and to hold all meetings in Yarmouth says it all.